Friday, October 19, 2007

What's a mom to do?

OH, NO! I've got a little criminal on my hands! Today my sister-in-law and I were out with the kids doing some shopping for Halloween costumes at JoAnn's. Shopping with two three year olds and a 10 month old is always a little bit crazy, but for the most part it went pretty smooth... or so we thought.

As we were in the parking lot making sure our little three year olds were getting their belts buckled we noticed that they were holding candy... that we didn't purchase. My first thought: OH MY GOSH! MY CHILD JUST STOLE SOMETHING! My second thought: (a little calmer) what a great teaching opportunity. So my sister-in-law and I explained to them, that we do not take things from a store without paying for them. We then proceeded to march them back in the store to return the candy and apologize for stealing. They did and I hope little Brody will always remember not to steal.

Who knows if he really new that he was stealing (he never tried to hide it, which I thought was funny) but now he does know and has learned a pretty harmless lesson. This post is titled "What's a mom to do?" and I hope I did the right thing. I love you Broder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did something like this once when I was little. My mom did the same thing with me. I remembered I felt embarrassed to have to go back and apologize, but it's good to remember some things, and hey, now I don't steal! :) (except when I left the GAP with a pair of shoes the other day, but no worries, I went back and paid for them)

P.S. maybe it's in the family....both of my kids have left stores with something, but they were very little and just grabbed it while sitting in the stroller.

Kari said...

What a cute kid. That was probably a harder lesson for you to teach than for Brody to learn. Way to go!