Monday, September 22, 2008

Colorado Hunting

AHHHHH... what a nice relaxing, calming week. Dustin and I were able to go to Colorado for his annual deer hunt. He's been going for the past five years and this year he decided he wanted me to go along (picture me in a cabin with six men dressed in cammo eating deer meat, yeah I fit right in). His sweet mom kept the kiddos for us so that we could go enjoy being the two of us! We had a great time, beautiful weather, pretty sunsets, nice talks, long walks, laughs and quiet moments. I was telling Dustin it was different than any other trip we have taken, cause there was not much to do but enjoy each other.


I got a ton of reading done! Every chance I had I picked up a book, there were a lot of chances. That's my kind of vacation! Corry and I were reading buddies.


Dustin got one on day number four, he was holding out for a trophy. I finally told him I was bad luck and that he needed to go out by himself, do what he does and shoot a deer! I, of course, took one for the team and stayed at the cabin and slept in. A few short hours later Dustin showed up with dinner.


Our wonderful cook got out the dutch oven and before the night was over our tummy's were full!

In case you all were wondering, this is how I showered...

...In the buff... in the wilderness! Dustin set it all up for me and would fill the bag full of water and let it set in the sun all day so it would be warm like a real shower. He even brought some carpet from home so I wouldn't have to stand in the mud. I only took two showers the whole week (didn't want to seem like too much of a girl) but those two showers were glorious!

I am grateful for the pioneers that traveled so far their bodies aching from the long journey, I sure ached after climbing each mountain and I only did it for 4 days. My bed, my shower, a solid roof over my head, time with Dustin and to be back with my kiddos!

7 comments:

Mauzy Fam said...

Sounds like fun!! Glad you got to go and you're good at roughing it!! Dustin's so good to take care of you.

{jennifer} said...

It is beautiful where you went and how nice to get so much reading done! I am glad you had a fun time and your shower facilities were awesome:)

Kari said...

You two are such a cute couple! So glad you had fun together and way to go on surviving with the boys! I'm glad it was so relaxing! Cute pics!

Anonymous said...

i know it's bittersweet to say goodbye to your bro, but he will do great and have hilarious stories to share when he gets back! :) what a relaxing trip with beautiful scenery. that shower....hilarious. dustin is so thoughtful. i'm sure corry LOVED having a reading buddy. :) hey, i read the scriptures! that counts double!!

Van and Rhonda said...

Oh my gosh it looks like you guys had a blast. It is so important to have bonding time just the two of you. Dad and I are going to have alot of that in about a week :( It was nice that you got to go Amy and have such a great time with Dustin. What an awesome husband he is to you. Love you, MOM

Lorri said...

ok your every guys dream girl! goin hunting with the guys. What a great wife you are. Glad you had a good time.

lh said...

you go girl!